Shooting at Maryland Funeral Leaves Three People Injured

Shooting Reported at Maryland Funeral. Three People Injured by Gunfire.

In a tragic turn of events, three people were injured by gunfire on Friday while leaving a funeral in Prince George’s County, Maryland. Local police are working diligently to identify and capture possible suspects responsible for this attack. The incident left an already grieving community in shock after the violent acts.

What happened?

The incident occurred near the National Harmony Memorial Park cemetery in Landover, a suburb of Washington, D.C. A black truck transporting close relatives of the deceased was leaving the site of the send-off when shots were fired at the vehicle. Media images showed bullet holes in the back of the truck, marking a harrowing moment in what should have been a peaceful and resilient farewell to the deceased’s family.

What happened to the victims?

According to the Prince George’s County Police Department, the victims of this fatal incident suffered non-life-threatening injuries. However, the magnitude of the violent act has left the community dismayed and concerned for its safety, given the sheer callousness of the attack. Local authorities are increasing police presence in the area and reviewing security measures at the scene.

“This is a time when people are already grieving”

During a brief press conference on Friday evening, Major Chad Schmick expressed his indignation and dismay at the attack. “This is a time when people are already grieving, sad about losing a loved one,” said Schmick, highlighting the cruelty of the incident. Schmick described how one or more suspects were “brazen enough to open fire on this procession.” The acts occurred as the truck was turning left to exit the cemetery, prompting an immediate response from authorities.

Did they shoot a police officer?

Responders faced challenges in approaching the truck to provide assistance to the victims, resulting in the injury of an officer in the process. The truck, according to authorities, was likely the target of the gunfire. Officers believe that it was transporting close relatives of the deceased, making this attack particularly callous and despicable. The three victims, two women, and a man, were quickly hospitalized, and the situation remains critical due to the violence of the act.

What is known about the suspect?

In an effort to gather information that may lead to the arrest of those responsible, Major Schmick appealed to the community. He asked residents to provide any tips or surveillance footage that could assist in the investigation. So far, the police are unsure whether the assailant was in a vehicle or on foot, adding a layer of complexity to the events.

To view related photos and footage please click here.

This incident has left the community in shock and raised concerns about safety at public events and funerals.