Work on the Tesla Supercharger in Australia will proceed, however, the future expansion plans are uncertain.

Tesla’s Supercharger Network Future in Australia Remains Uncertain

It’s not the end of the road for Tesla’s Supercharger network in Australia, the US car giant told customers today, but it’s unclear whether work will ever begin on new locations.

Construction of certain new Tesla Supercharger locations will continue in Australia amid reports that the expansion of the fast charging network has been halted and the global team behind it has been laid off.

In an email to local customers this afternoon seen by Drive, Tesla said “the Supercharger network will continue to expand” in Australia, and “projects currently under construction continue to be completed and brought into operation.”

More importantly, however, the American auto giant is not saying whether future projects that are not yet under construction, and are only in the planning stages, will come to fruition.

It follows from a report on the technology website EFTM earlier this week claiming that a Victorian company is preparing to add four Tesla Supercharger stations in its parking lot had been warned not to go ahead.

This location was still in the planning stages and construction of the four loading bays had not begun.

In the email sent to customers today, Tesla Australia said: “Our team continues to service and maintain Supercharger sites, and provide them with operational support.

“The Supercharger network remains critical to Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. Reducing costs and increasing efficiency are important to achieving our mission and remain a priority.”

“The customer experience while charging remains a top priority for the Supercharger network and we continue to focus on ease of charging, competitive pricing and investing in the charging experience holistically.”

Earlier this month, reports emerged that Tesla had fired the team behind Superchargers, one of the world’s largest electric car fast charging networks, in operation for 14 years with more than 50,000 plugs worldwide.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said in a tweet Hours after the report that Tesla “still plans to grow the Supercharger network.”

However, he said this would happen at “a slower pace for new locations” to “focus more on 100 [per cent] uptime and expansion of existing locations.”

“[Supercharger] Construction sites will be completed and we will add additional Superchargers wherever there are spaces,” he said.

The CEO did not explicitly confirm the layoffs, but implied that the report was accurate by unfollowing two accounts run by passionate Tesla owners and shareholders, commenting “don’t post leaks of confidential information and expect me to follow you.”

The latest information from Tesla Australia calls into question the long-term future of the Supercharger network and whether it will ever expand beyond the charging locations already under construction.

The decision to fire the Supercharger team took industry analysts by surprise, given that the network is considered a key asset (and source of income) for the American auto giant, particularly as it opens up to electric cars from other brands at the level. world.

In North America, most automakers have announced plans to adopt the custom charging system used in US-market Teslas (called NACS) to streamline access to the Supercharger network.

Drive approached Tesla Australia for comment before reporting on the EFTM report on Monday, but no response has been received since then.

The American electric car giant does not usually respond to requests for comment from the media, and the only public statements the company usually makes are those it sends by email to customers (like the one discussed above) or in Elon Musk posts.